Digital Macksville

Macksville, Kansas

15- Former Business Men and Women


15- Former Business Men and Women


Macksville, Kansas -- History

Macksville, Kansas Centennial

Stafford County, Kansas


Section of the Macksville Centennial Book dealing with former business men and women.


Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press


Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas


Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas











Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, “15- Former Business Men and Women,” Digital Macksville, accessed September 21, 2023,

The car the robbers used the day they planned to rob the bank. Both were killed, Macksville, Kansas.
caliber hunting rifle. They were "loaded for bear” in western parlance. Little did these notorious gunmen realize that a reception committee of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation under the able leadership of Lou Rit-cher, would be awaiting them that morning. Their six weeks of planning had ended in failure and death.
Employees and heads of both banks of this small Kansas town had worked under the protective cover of the KBI, their homes and children were always under close surveillance. Every day before the attempted holdup, a KBI man was on top the vaults of each bank, closely scrutinizing each person who entered it’s doors, obscured by a wide border of black material atop the vaults. All this after the plot to rob the banks was first revealed by the ex-con undercover man, who worked with the bandits under instructions from the KBI. His life would have mattered little, had Jack Slade and Jim West suspected him of infidelity to their cause. The price for his cooperation with the KBI, freedom! A chance to establish himself again in American society. The bandits’ front, was a coffee shop near the Arkansas river bridge in South Dodge. Could there be a more colorful location than near the site of erstwhile Marshall Ham Bell’s old *elephant barn?
From a stairway in the Post Office building stepped Jim Nelson, gun leader of the KBI, who rushed in front of the bandit car which had come to a virtual stop. Had Jim Slade sensed danger as he glanced across the street at the two banks and slowed his car in hesitation? Jim Nelson lacked nothing of raw courage and guts as he drew his riot gun across the windshield and barked the order “Halt”! The order was not obeyed. Slade was in the act of running the officer down as his foot hit the accelerator and West reached for his automatic, all in
the split second that spelled disaster, as their car was riddled with a fusillade of lead from a dozen guns, whose handlers were stationed on the roof tops of buildings that lined main street. Now it was over. Six weeks tension that shrouded the local banks, their executives, employees and families had ended, and a bloody episode was spared the citizens of this small Kansas town, by timely action of the KBI, it’s leader and courageous ex-con collaborator.
‘The word elephant barn of Ham Bell’s was used because the barn was so huge it could accomodate large number of wagons and horses. All names used are fictitious to protect the innocent; Lou Ritcher was the real name of the KBI’s chief (he is now deceased).
Written By L.L. Shaw shortly after the robbery attempt.
Wegele mowers lined up in front of W.S. Fred & Son Mower Co. Left to right, Carroll Fred, Bernice Suiter and Fred Hopley.
J H. Wolf was one of the pioneers of this part, coming Mr. Wolfe had a blacksmith shop from 1898-1911. Af-
when he was eight years old with his parents. The family ter traveling for a threshing machine company for
came from Rockbottom, Massachusetts. They came to several years, he returned and opened a hardware store,
Garfield first later settling one mile east and four south garage and tire shop until 1946 when Mr. Lloyd Peters
of Macksville. His father homestead this land. bought it. Now is A&S Repair Shop.
Fred Hopley and salesman.
An interview done by Paul Schnoebelen, Editor of Macksville Enterprise on 2-10-82, that we feel sums up the business years of Mr. Fred Hopley. Mr. Hopley passed away in Jan. 1973.
An Auction Sale will be held Saturday, February 12, at 1:00 p.m., at Fred A. Hopley Sales, at the corner of Main St. and 50 Hwy. Machinery, office equipment furniture
and other miscellaneous items.
Mr. Hopley, who has been in business in Macksville for the 60 years, has decided to retire. Asked what that means he replied, ‘‘I really don’t know, I’m a little worried about what to do.”
Fred started business in Macksville in 1912, operating a horse and mule sales barn. He bought horses and mules from the U.S. Government during World War I. After the war he shipped horses from Fort Riley.
Other businesses included selling Great American Insurance, tractors for the Cletrac Tractor Co. and GMC trucks. Three years he was employed by the Welch Motor Co. selling International and Oldsmobile cars. Later he took the IHC Contract selling tractors, combines and machinery, selling out to Howard Barstow and buying the business back in a year. Sales included International, Nash cars and Zenith radios. Then came the depression. He took the Oliver agency, later the Minneapolis - Moline, selling thirty combines and nearly thirty tractors in one year. Fred sold the agency to a man from Minneola.
When he and Mr. Welch had the Olds agency they went to Wichita to buy cars. The distributor there told them if they wanted in they would have to take a minimum of 100 cars. Well, those 100 cars did not last the year out, says Mr. Hopley. They sold for around 1,300 dollars each.
Hopley had a custom harvest crew for ten to twelve years cutting wheat in Kansas, Oklahoma and Nebraska.
In the 40’s he handled dairy cattle. He acquired a contract with W.S. Fred & Son for distributorship for the Wegele Mowers. He established some 200 dealers from Ohio to California and Dakotas to Florida. He attended national showings in Chicago, Denver, Amarillo, Kansas City and Colorado Springs. Also showing at the Kansas State Fair, Home Show in Hutchinson and the Western Kansas Manufacturing Assn. shows, many times.
Fred has bought and sold over twenty pieces of property in our city. He is a charter member of the Chamber of Commerce, which he has held the office of
president two times, served three terms on the 50 Highway Assn., and active on the board of the Federal Highway Association several times.
This is a story of one of his dealings with a farmer that wanted to buy a tractor and trade in his horse. "This man was telling me how good his horse was, ‘you see that wagon over there, if I tell this horse to get up there he will, if I tell him to turn around and come down, he will; and you know if I tell him to kneel, he’ll stay there until I repeat the ‘Lord’s Prayer’.”
A few of the many Macksville people who have worked in the C.O. Mammel Store. Front row, Mrs. Laura Callahan was clerk in 1918. Mrs. Lena Preston. Standing
left to right, Mrs. Ruth Guy Morrell, Lewis Hawk, Mrs. Gertrude James-Reiman, Guy Malin and Mrs. Lacie DeVore.
Harry Dutton, Mildred Hankins on stool and Lena Preston. Purity (Mammels) Dry Good Store, 1928.
Paul Hankins, Eula and Ray Kingsley. Purity Store 1928.
The Purity store has been in existence in Macksville since 1911. W.M. Swedlund came from Hutchinson to manage the store, purchased from J.E. Anderson by C.O. Mammel. It had a very small stock of groceries and dry goods at that time. In fact, it was the intent of Mr. Mammel to close out the stock. However, Mr. Swedlund decided to stay and it was not long until he was part owner. By careful management, he built up the trade until it became one of the largest of its size in a town the size of Macksville.
After selling the dry goods business part of the store,
Spring 1966. From left, Leroy Haug • salesman; Wayne Hardy • owner of Hardy Supply; June Davidson • bookkeeper; Lee Suiter • salesman; Ernie Young • salesman.
he entered into partnership with his brother-in-law, C.O. Mammel, and V.E. Mammel, who owned several stores. The Macksville store carried the name of Purity until in the 1950’s when Mammels sold the stock to Davidson and Regiel from Belpre. They sold it to Myrl Davidson, later. In 1960, Mr. Swedlund reopened the store as C.O. Mammels and Jack Gross from Hutchinson was head of the meat department and Bobby Higgins was grocery manager.
During the past 25 years there have been several managers but at this writing John Drake is manager.
C.O. Mammels sold the store and contents to John Drake on Nov. 11,1985. Now is John’s Grocery.

Wayne Hardy, Kansas State Fair, Sept. 1963.
—31 —
April 1, 1962, we purchased from Fred Hopley, the Hopley Sales Company, which sold the Wegele Scooter Mower. The Mower was manufactured, by W.S. Fred & Son (Carroll Fred), Macksville. We also were distributors of short line farm equipment, such as the Dudrey Wire Roller and Full Vision Tractor and Combine Cabs. We were exclusive distributors for the Wegele Scooter Mower until we sold our business September 20, 1972. Our place of business was located in the old “Tudor-Morgan building, where Les Deighton Sales & Repair is now located.
It all began in 1928 when Pinkie (Paul Scott Thomas) came to Macksville from Garnett, Kansas, to visit his sister Alta Huffman and her husband Lee who were teaching in the Macksville schools. During the Thanksgiving holiday Pinkie purchased the “Imperial Cafe” located on Main Street from William Wren. The building was owned by Henry Wittenberg who rented it to Pinkie for $16.00 a month. The room above rented for $9.00 a month. Pinkie was to do all inside repairs. In later years the building belonged to Mrs. Marie Shaw who was a daughter of Henry Wittenberg, and in 1969 Pinkie was still paying the same amount of rent when we made the move to the hotel building.
Pinkie returned to Garnett for his belongings, the muddy roads and bad weather forced him to stay longer,
“Pinkie” Paul and Violet Thomas • Pinkies Cafe in Hotel 1975.
but the cafe was opened on Christmas Eve, 1928. Coal was used for all cooking and heating. In 1934 Thanksgiving dinner of ham or turkey was advertised at 35 cents. About this time the name was changed to "Pinkie’s Cafe". When the year 1942 rolled around the ownership changed into a partnership. Pinkie married Violet N. Hardie on August 28,1942.
On Christmas in 1956 Pinkie received his first train and that became his hobby. He collected trains of all
Pinkies Cafe when the counter was on right side of building taken about 1936. Pictured Paul “Pinkie” Thomas, Morris Beiser.
kinds together with the scenery and homes to display on shelves built atop the wall cases. Needless to say the trains were enjoyed by young and old alike. In 1962 on the 34th anniversary Pinkie gave away a Lionel train to a lucky customer from Great Bend. The Crescent Hotel building was purchased in 1969 and cafe was opened there along with hotel rooms to rent. The trains continued to be displayed and operated atop a specially built track. In 1973 following an ice storm the cafe remained open for several days even tho there was no electricity. On December 15, 1974 the businessmen and women and friends hosted an Open House honoring Pinkie and Violet at the Christian Church for his 46th year in business.
One day in April 1978 bandleader Lawrence Welk and friends from Wichita walked into the cafe for breakfast. This was quite a thrill for all the waitresses and customers. On December 24, 1978 a celebration was held for 50 years of business in Macksville and an Open House at the cafe was attended by many friends, relatives, and former employees. Souvenir cups were given that day. After the death of Pinkie (Paul Scott Thomas) in October 1980, his wife Violet remained in the cafe business until it was sold the latter part of 1981. All through the years of the cafe operation they employed many students of Macksville High School and people of the community.
Pinkie’s Cafe 1942. Pinkie, Violet Thomas, Ida Weitner, Vena Baxter, Oren “Red” Satterlee, Harve Reece.
Herbert Odom and Elmer Smith 1930. Repair shop at Wolf’s garage.
Homer Kearns and Jerrel Wood in front of Brown Oil.
Jerrel Wood and E.O. Brown in front of Conoco Station.
Ernest “Ernie” and Althea Brown moved to Macksville October 1950 from Manhattan where they were an agent for Continental Oil Co. They operated the Conoco bulk fuel and station until Ernie’s death. Althea sold the station to Waite Hankla in Mar. 1976.
Dr. Fred Powell and wife Grace, standing in front of office upstair of what is now Lucy’s in 1940’s.
June Davidson and Dora Harper, clerks at A.D. Humphrey IGA Store 1958-1960.
Frank Booth, service station operator and used car dealer.
Agnes Doggett and daughter, Earlene Heimiller. Agnes operated Agnes Shoppe dry good 1964-1968.
Mr. and Mrs. R.W. Welch. IGA Store 1920’s, hotel 1930’s, appliance store 1940’s and livery stable where now is Walker Bros. in early 1900’s.
Betty Jo (Cotton) Dotzour, postal employee 1946. Louise (Grunder) Grizzell, employee at Commons Drug Store.
Joan Kephart owned Joan’s Dry Goods, Aug. 1980-1983.
Orian Kephart, Manager, English Grain, 1966-1984.
Gene Linebaugh shown here admiring one of his hobbies (flowers). Painter and paper hanger, 1959-1976.
Hallie Cole served the public for many years working in restaurants. Ethel Mackey was the Avon representative for years in Macksville.
Velma Hart, Lena Preston and Florence Reiman. Lena Preston owned Preston Variety Store 1952-1956.
Fred Doggett, owned and operated Doggett Welding Shop, 1952-1963.
L.L. Shaw, employee of F & M Bank. Insurance agent until his death Oct. 14,1980.
Ethel and Loren Wilson
In 1920 I started working for Clyde Hoover in the ready to wear department. His store was on the east side of Main Street. Fred Clark owns the north part now. All that building was Hoovers at one time. I worked for Hoover until 1934 and was making $10.00 a week when I quit. In 1934 my brother Herb and I went into the produce business first in the front of what is now Walker Bros. and then later I bought the building north and remodeled it. In the produce house we bought eggs, cream, chickens, and jack rabbits for 8c each, sold feed and ice. Herb quit and moved to Larned and Cecil Woods worked
for us for six years. In 1954 I sold out the produce business and started working at the school as a custodian.
Some other produce houses in Macksville were: Macksville Produce Co., Wimp & Roloson owners • 1918, E.l. Spencer & Co. 1918, Wilson Produce 1934-1954, Tom and Jennie Lock, Mose Oiler early 1930’s, the Produce Market, E.R. Shute owner, 1928, Home Produce Louis W. Lamont 1928, Home Produce Dail Leatherbury 1930’s, Wilbur Mosbarger 1946, W.A. Commons 1928, Lloyd Mace, Richard and Hazel Lucas - Fairmont Creamery 1940’s.
Pictured are Orville Vincent, Lowell Hardie, Henry street side; 1930 Chevrolet under canopy and 1924
Hardie, and George Parks. Shown is 1928 Essex on Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
Skelly Gas Station located on Highway 50 a block east of Main Street was operated by Henry Hardie from about 1930 to 1931. Cabins were also built in back and
for rent. A sandwich shop was also located west of the station.
W.S. Fred & Sons Grocery. Right to left, Johnny Har-die, Bertha McMillan, Lillian Fred, Carroll Fred and W.S. Fred.
Mr. and Mrs. W.S. Fred, Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Fred came to Macksville, Dec. 1935.
Bought a building for their grocery store from Clyde Hoover that had been a ladies ready to wear on south side of his clothing store. Opened W.S. Fred and Son Grocery Store, May 1st, 1936. There were three other grocery stores in town at that time.
Sold the grocery to A.D. Humphrey after 23 years in 1958 and he went to IGA. It was the only grocery store in town at that time.
Carroll Fred bought a building from Mickey Elmore in 1951 and started manufacturing the Wegele Scooter Mower.
Fred Hopley was the Sales Representative for the Wegele Scooter Mower and he later sold to Hardy Supply and he was the Representative.
Carroll sold the manufacturing plant to Ralph Smith and Arnold Hosford in Sept. 1972. Sale included building to old grocery store building. They named it Macksville Mfg. and continued manufacturing Wegele Scooter Mower.
Left to right, Lester Robinston, W.S. Fred, Fred Carter, Lawrence Bolton, Emerson Aves. Wegele Mower Mfg., owners W.S. Fred & Son (Carrol Fred).
Original workers at W.S. Fred and Son Wegele Mower Co., Fred Hopley, salesman; Carl DeGarmo, Carroll Fred, Lawrence Bolton, Lester Robinston, Fred Carter.
April 9,1938, Macksville Oil Co., C.D. Peters and Lloyd Peters.
C.D. Peters and son Lloyd D. Peters came from Sterling, Kansas in 1931 and bought the Macksville Oil Co. They operated a service station and country delivery gasoline and oil truck and enjoyed a very good business. In 1939 they sold out to Joe Miller and sons, Jake and Keith. Peters bought land in Iowa where they farmed two years. After selling the land they bought a Hardware in New Sharon, Iowa. Then they sold it and bought the Joe Wolf Garage and Hardware in 1946 from Deedie Hudson,
who was the daughter and administratrix of the Joe Wolf estate. In 1955 they sold the Peters Garage and Hardware merchandise and equipment at public auction and moved to Tucson, Arizona, where Lloyd Peters and family still reside.
Inside Peters Garage and Hardware, Macksville Har-ware, 1954.
Inside Peters Garage and Hardware, 1954.
Roy and Elreno “Skeet” Ellyson in Pinkies. Roy was a farmer, worked for state in sales tax and sold insurance.
Victor Stambaugh • late 40’s, early 50’s, janitor for Macksville School. Farmington Township road patrol.
Harry and Grace Lyda
Harry Lyda managed Gano Grain Elevator from 1944-1965. He was a teacher and coach in the Alexander schools and also operated a grocery business before engaging in the grain business in Macksville. He and his wife, Grace, were quite active in Civic, Community and Church affairs. He was elected to the City Council, was Mayor for ten years, and was active in the local Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Lyda also served several years as a member of the school board.
Right, Betty Fehrenbacher and left, Florence Fehren-bacher. Wood cook stove used at Betty’s Pastry Shop, June 4,1972-Feb. 26,1978.
Herb Parker, painter, repairman, truck driver, Farmington Township Road Patrol.
Alice Campbell Mosher operated the Hiway 50 Cafe in early 50’s. Was open 24 hours a day. Lucy Parker was one of her cooks.
Ronald Booth owned car wash on Hiway 50 which was old Standard Station, now Country Store.
Ed Kessinger, operated Kessinger Trucking 1928 to 40’s and Kesinger Shoe Repair.
A.A. Shaw, barber shop 1911-1917, painter and paper hanger, rural mail carrier, 1917-1933.
Edward “Red” James, carpenter, World War I veteran, came from West Virginia in 1914 or 1916 as a harvest hand.
—41 —
Darlene Oiler stands in front of her Dad’s ice truck. Mr. and Mrs. Mose Oller bought and sold cream and eggs and delivered ice in 1932.
Archie Campbell, built and operated the Campbell Theatre. Built in 1912.
Tawn Schnoebelen employee of Hankla Conoco in 1976 to 1982.
Enid and Wheeler Hopkins owned and operated the Cozy Cafe, Oct. 1957 • Summer 1970.
Raymond Swartz managed Bunge Corp. elevator 1965-1978. Also pictured is a farmer Nolan Cummins.
Carpenters of Macksville. Sitting in window, Jack Davidson, left to right, Jim Davis, Red James, Harvey Hartman and Edgar Hall.
Claude and Maude Sparks. Claude managed Aitken Lumber 1918-1939 and Home Lumber for 11 years. Maude operated Sparks Dry Goods 1949-1966.
Keith Miller and Trudy Packard at Macksville Oil in
Fred Lamb, Mayor of Macksville, 1941-1951, John Deere Dealership.
Pinkie and Violet Thomas working on the trains at Pinkie’s Cafe in 1968.
Paul and Ann Schnoebelen, Enterprise publisher and editor, Oct. 1955 to Nov. 1,1983.
Fred Bates, City Marshall in 1960’s and city employee for years.
Cora and Willie Ernst owned and operated Ernst Antique Shop and Museum. Their collection of over 30 years was very good.
Robert “Bob” DeGarmo owned and operated DeGarmo Plumbing and Heating 1957-1978.
Lois English, author of several books. President of bank 1966-1981.
— 44 —
A.G. English • Macksville’s Pioneer Banker
It would be difficult to write a biographical sketch of A.G. English without at the same time writing of the Macksville State Bank. A.G., as he is familiarly called by his friends, has been a familiar figure around Macksville since he arrived in 1885. He was born in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania, being the second son of W.T. and Sarah English. From Pennsylvania the family went to Reeseville, Clinton County, Ohio, where the subject of this sketch grew to manhood. When Mr. English was 20 years of age, he and his brother, J.B. English, decided to come to Kansas. The two young men arrived in Larned in February, 1885, and hired a man to bring them to Macksville in his wagon. They followed along the angling road and finally arrived at what is now the city of Macksville. At that time the only buildings here were Geo. Mack’s house which was the postoffice and store. On to the south a little was a small building known as the town hall.
Mr. English and his brother batched with Wm. Wilson until the following fall on what is now the L.D. Hearn farm home. While living in Ohio A.G. had learned the blacksmithing trade with his father. Learning that there was a kit of tools down in the sand hills, he procured them and opened a shop about where P.H. Zuercher’s implement store not stands, the following spring.
When Mr. English arrived here he had $100 in cash, which was a considerable sum for those times. He continued working at his trade for about seven years, during which period he was united in marriage to Miss Flora McMorran, the daughter of another pioneer family. Mr. and Mrs. English are the parents of two daughters, Mrs. Leila Reid of London, England, and Miss Lois of the home.
An attempt had been made by J.T. Woodford and son, F.D. Woodford, to start a bank in Macksville, in the early nineties. It was known as the First Bank of Macksville. It failed to function and was forced to close in 1892.
Geo. H. Burr who at that time was president of the St. John National Bank at St. John, opened the Macksville
State Bank in 1892, and looking about for a young man to run it, selected A.G. English, the town blacksmith. We might add, just here, that no doubt Mr. Burr’s attention was attracted to A.G. English for the reason that he was of good habits and had been carefully accumulating a small surplus of cash, which he occasionally loaned to his friends. He started working in the bank on a salary.
The Macksville State Bank opened with a capital of $5,000. A number of years later it was increased to its present capital—$25,000 and now has in addition to its capital a surplus of $75,000. Geo. H. Burr, now living in New York City, the original owner of the bank, only owns a very small amount of stock at the present time. For a number of years Mr. English was very ably assisted in the bank by his wife, who was a very competent bookkeeper.
For forty-four years the Macksville State Bank has prided itself on its policy to first safeguard its depositors. Second, to offer the best, most up-to-date service to be had and third to treat all business entrusted to them with strictest confidence. Safety—Service and Silence has been its policy.
From the small beginning mentioned in another paragraph, the Macksville State Bank has grown until it is regarded as one of the most solid financial institutions of Southwest Kansas. It is the oldest business in Macksville.
Mr. English is to be found at his desk nearly every day of the year, in fact he is seldom away from his business. Many years ago Mr. English took over the presidency of the bank, J.H. McMorran is the cashier, W.J. Eichenberger, the assistant cashier and P.H. Beckerdite, the bookkeeper.
Taken from the Macksville Enterprise, Oct. 15,1936
Macksville State Bank. John McMorran, Walter Eichenberger, cashier until Nov. 1959, Harold Beckerdite.
Paul Cleaner’s owned and operated by Paul Satterlee, November 1948 • June 1957.
J.F. “Joe” Demain, Druggist.
Mr. Demain and Dr. F.C. Powell came to Macksville in 1908, buying out the drug store of B E. Searls. This brick structure of one of the first to be built in Macksville. In 1911 they sold the store to a company of men and it was operated as The Corner Drug Store.
Mr. Demain returned to Macksville in 1915, arranged to buy the store back and operated it as Demain Drug until 1946 when it was sold to Charles and Ogle Brison.
Brison operated until early 1960’s. The building was later torn down and the new Farmers & Merchants Bank was built. Joe Wolf - First Acetyline tank.
— 46—
John Booth, Donald Nonken, owner of Nonken Equipment and International Dealer and John Martin in 1944 until early 60’s.
Sinclair and Barnum Store about 1913. Sam E. Biggs man on right.
Macksville Oil 1953. Everett Grizzell and Keith Miller, owners of Macksville Oil, Conrad Waddle, Lee Suiter and Homer Kearns.
Wayne Fehrenbacher showing watches and clocks he made. Also Wayne had a Bicycle Shop in the late 60’s and early 70’s.
Eileen Linebaugh has served the public 30 years as a waitress in local restaurants. Lenore Ryder has also served the public for many years and at this time was a waitress. Both were employed at Pinkies Cafe.
Left to right, Violet Thomas, Eileen Linebaugh, Lawrence Welk, Paul “Pinkie” Thomas. Taken at Pinkies Cafe, April 1978.
Guy Malin
He worked at Westgate Grocery in 1905. Then in later years he worked for Walter Swedlund, Harry Dutton when he managed the purity and then for John Lynch at Tudor Morgans. Guy worked most of his adult life in Macksville Grocery Stores, except during World War I of which he was a veteran.
Anna Kephart delivered the Hutchinson News for years.
Dr. C.S. Adams and L.C. James, 1930’s. Dr. Adams office in back of Commans Drug Store.
Dr. C.S. Adams
Bernard Breitenbach and daughter Tyna. Bernard was owner of Breitenbach Mortuary late 1945 till his death 11-19-78. Carolyn continued to operate the mortuary until June 1985 when she sold it to Jim Minnis and son Mitch.
A City Council Meeting. John Grant • City Clerk, Jerry Heimiller, Bob Pontius Sr. • Marshall; Robert Carver • Mayor • standing; Bob DeGarmo, Lee Suiter, Harry Seibert.
S.G. Wiles came to Macksville in 1910 working in Farmers & Merchants Bank as a bookkeeper. Became cashier in 1915 until his death 1-15-1965.
Clyde and Alma Hoover
Damerell and Hoover Merchantile
In 1909 Clyde Hoover, age 23, arrived in Macksville working as handy man for Kansas Grain Company, Westgate General Merchandise, Tudor Store, and Purity Grocery Store. In 1911 he married Alma Damerell and soon after purchased an interest in Damerell’s store. Carl Damerell, his partner, died in 1918. Mr. Hoover purchased the remaining interst in the store and named it C.H. Hoover, selling clothing and dry good items. For many years he was a successful and popular merchant and town booster. He served a term as Mayor and also was on the school board. In 1946 Mr. Hoover sold the store to Paul Sparks.
Gladys Whiting at Cresent Hotel and sister Floy Williams employed at Brisons Drug Store.
Gordon Dotzour employee at F & M Bank 1946. Phil Helwig, Postmaster.
Tom Davidson, City Marshall late 1920’s; Guy Malin.
—51 —
John (Scottie) Grant
John (Scottie) Grant came from Dundee, Scotland after the first World War. He arrived in Macksville on the old Santa Fe No 1 train on May 20,1920.
Scottie joined his brother Jim in the baking business here.
He later operated a bakery in Belpre, Kansas, for a time and then in partnership with his brother George Anderson Grant purchased the bakery here from their brother Jim. Anderson then sold his share of the bakery business to Scottie who continued the operation (the bakery was where Hardys live).
He then moved to the building (where Lucys Sundries is now). He married Mae (Fuqua) Grant Aug. 18, 1927. Later then moved across the street (where the Enterprise is now) then later moved to where the Post office and Phylee’s Store is now). Then buying the building where the Enterprise is he moved back. He discontinued the bakery and in 1948 opened the recreation business which he operated until 1958.
A daughter was born Jan. 10, 1937. Georgina Mary Grant.
He then became City Clerk and held this position for 27 1/2 years. He was also in charge of maintenance of the City Park since 1959.
Mae was City Treasurer for 16 years.
Scottie’s love was golfing, he helped establish a 3 hole golf course where the football grounds are now. Later he helped to make a 9 hole golf course 3 miles south of town. He also belonged to the Stafford Country Golf Course.
He belonged to the Macksville Lions Club which he was a member until his death April 3, 1979 at the age of 86.
Ogle Brison, beautician and owner of Brison Drug Store 1946 till early 60’s. Gladys Whiting owner of Cresent Hotel. Both ladies are ready for 1961 Kansas Centennial.
Wesley and Will Myers Store in Macksville before the fire in 1911. Left to right, Wesley Myers, Oscar Myers,
Glenn Wood Slaughter House in southwest part of town 1943. Jerrel Wood is the young man.
Fred and Rosamond McReynolds, managers of telephone office in the 40’s and early 50’s.
Harry Myers, Grandpa Webb, Grandma Webb, Viola Myers and Anna Myers.
Glenn Wood and Louis Webber butchering.
Virgil Goudy • Goudy Jewelry 1935 till present. Banker 1-2-1960 till 2-28-1979. Paul Sparks • Sparks Dry Goods 1946 • 1949. Taken in front of Common Drug Store. Watchmakers and Jewelers in Macksville: C.R. Mendenhall, Z.M. Holcomb, Mr. Ducat, Harold Howard, H.W. Russell, Virgil Goudy.
Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Tacker operated a dray line.
Clyde Landis was a painter and thresher.
Carl DeGarmo, substitute mail carrier, owned and operated DeGarmo Tire and Rim Shop 1930’s to 1950’s in Macksville.
Myrl Reese Beauty Shop. Pictured Myrl Reese and Thelma Mangels in the late 30’s or early 40’s. Some of the beauticians before 1959 were: Myrl Reese, Brentice McVey, Ogle Brison, Margaret (Neill) Tucker, Martina (Mackey) Tranbarger, Vaughn (Miles) Graebner, Thelma
(Mangels) Helwig, Bert Golden, Velma Corby, Mrs. Clayton Cooper, Howard Lucas in the 20’s when Marcel was popular. Miss Anna Weber, Ethel Ruff, Maggie Peoples, Mary E. Parrish.
Nonken Equipment Co. built by Roy Harman in 1926.
F.W. Lamb Imp. Co. later W.S. Fred & Son Wegele Mower in 1950. Southwest corner was Kessinger Shoe Shop.
Joe Ballinger worked for Guy Vance at Davidson Grain and was custodian at The Macksville Grade School.
Charles Fitzsimmons 1931-1960 operated K.T. Oil Co., Ford Car Dealer, sold combines and repairs.
Left Albert "Pop” Eitel.
In 1926 business consisted of recharge and rebuilding of auto and wet cell radio batteries, rebuilding and maintenance of auto generators and starters. In 1929 gas sales and oil were added. In later years as it became cheaper to replace batteries
than rebuild them the business slowly became the Tavern as we know it today. The business was sold to Frank Pruett in early 1960. Then in Nov. 1961 Edna and Cecil Wood owned and operated the business. In Jan. 1, 1977 it was sold to Nancy Omstead.
Lee, Joan and Brenda Suiter. Lee Suiter and Gene Aves owned and operated Macksville Oil in early 1960’s.
Fred Cotton, grandson Mark and Doll Cotton, operated Cotton’s Dry Goods April 1950 till July 1964. Fred operated Farmington Township Patrol 1932-1949.
Charles Stark, manager of the Farmers Coop, Macksville, taken In the early 1920’s.
E.P. and Faye Anderson. Plumber 1925-1960’s.
Emile P. Anderson was born in New Britian, Connecticut on November 26,1890. As a young man he came to Kansas often to see his Uncle John and Aunt Minnie Johnson and their children: Oscar, Dave, Charlie, Mamie, Ruth. The last trip he settled in Larned where he married Faye Monger in 1916. They moved from Dodge City to Wellington, to Florida, to Chicago, and finally to Macksville in 1925. They had three children by then and Dad became the much needed plumber and tinner until he retired.
He loved Macksville and all its people as well as all the surrounding towns. He was very happy there and felt the town was good for him and to him. He died in July 1974.
M.R. Becktell and wife Amanda one of Macksville’s first residents. Mr. Becktell was a real estate man and helped organize Free Methodist Church.
Cecil Wood. Cecil worked for Wilson Produce 6 years, was city marshall and city employee several years and helped at Edna’s Place for 16 years.
Macksville’s Dray and Transfer Line in front of Bates and Young Blacksmith Shop (owned by Bunge Corp. 1985). Glenn Wood is pictured here. Some others who had Dray Lines were: Frank Seal 1911, Thos Davidson
1918, Geo T. Cummins 1928, P.E. Lemasters and sons, 1930, Jr. Ernst 1946, W.H. Foreman and son 1926, Mr. W.H. Tacker, Wilbur Cubbage 1955.
Herbert Odom, George Bowman and Ernest Parton 1928. Repair shop at Elmore’s.
Will Meeker mortician and Glenn Wood. Mr. Meeker had the mortuary from 1942 • Nov. 1945.
The Denbo Funeral Home was owned and operated by Russell and Pauline Denbo.
Russell came to Kansas in 1922. Later he enrolled and graduated from the Williams School of Embalming in Kansas City, Kansas. After receiving his Kansas License in 1924, he opened the Funeral Home in Macksville.
The first Show Room contained six caskets-- in a small building across the street east of the Hotel. Later the stock was increased and placed in the building north of what then was the Elmore Garage and Ford Agency. The next move was to the present location. Here a modern Preparation Room was installed.
The first Funeral Car was a white box style coach, later replaced with a new modern Funeral Car.
Russell and Pauline Welch were married in 1923. Two sons were born. Robert H. (Bob) was born in 1924 and Dwight E. (Bill) in 1926.
Being civic minded and a booster for Macksville, Russell was a member of the Methodist Church, a Charter member of Lions Club, American Legion, served as Past Master of the Masonic Lodge, Past Patron of the Order of the Eastern Star, and a member of the School Board.
The Funeral Home was sold to Mr. Meeker in 1942.
Russell passed away in May of 1974. Bill’s death came in June 1974.
We have always felt that Macksville was our Home Town. We loved the people we served in the community and surrounding territory. For that reason we wanted Macksville to be our final resting place.
Pauline Denbo
Elevator men • Ben Holland, Guy Vance, Bob Davidson, Roy Hart, George Cooper.
The Five Wise Men of Macksville
Five wise men sat by the rail-road track,
They sat in the winter when trade was slack;
They sat in the Spring while farmers toiled They sat while the sun in the heavens boiled.
Some smoked, some chewed, some cussed, but that Was always done while they sat and sat.
The yarns they spun were hard to chew,
Some yarns were old, and some were new.
The hardest work they were known to do Was to pitch a horse-shoe,--one or two.
Too busy to chase away a rat,
They let the ferrets attend to that.
At times, they answered the telephone,
For fear their bosses would find them gone But they were sure to be on time,
When their pay-checks came--oh how they’d climb!
When a load of wheat came into town,
They’d see it coming a half mile down Then they’d all rush out and run a race To get the farmer to choose their place.
The prices they bid would make you cry,
The ones who lost would sigh and sigh,
They did not weep any bitter tears,
Their hearts were hardened throughout the years.
So, the years roll on by the rail-road track,
And though the farmers keep coming back,
Between the harvests, depend on that,
The wise men sit as they always sat.
--Fern Howard Galloway.
Claude Sparks managed Aitken Lumber Co. next to Railroad. Ira Foreman operated a Dray Line.
Donald Sparks manager Home Lumber Co. 1950-1981.
Macksville Lumber and Grain started in Macksville in 1895 by three investors who employed J.G. English to build and manage the business. Later A.A. Aitken purchased the business and was known as Aitken Lumber Co. Upon his death, A.H. Aitken, son, operated the business until his death in 1938. It was then purchased in 1939 from the estate, by Home Lumber and Supply Co. and operated until February 1981 when it was sold to Mike Johnson.
Claude Sparks was employed in the early 1900’s until 1911 when he moved to Colorado Springs. He returned in 1918 to work for Aitken and later Home Lumber until his retirement in the middle 1960’s. Donald Sparks was employed after his discharge from the service in 1945. The business was moved to the T.M. Deal Lumber location in February of 1959. Donald Sparks retired in February of 1981. The name of the business was changed to Macksville Lumber and Supply Co.
—61 —
Macksville Lumber and Grain
A Goudy Plumbing Co. Skelgas stoves.
John Deere dealership where Walker Bros. is today. Taken in 1928. Ira Foreman, Bryce Lamb, Fred Lamb.
Employees of Mammel Store in 1960. Jack Gross manager of meat department; Bobby Higgins manager of grocery dept. and Gladys Johnson cashier.
Lamb and Mendenhall Store. Fred Lamb and Marion Mendenhall.
Enterprise office, Nov. 21, 1948. Nancy Brunscher, Maude Sparks, Kate Waldron, Sonny Swartz, Leroy Hall.
George Cooper at Macksville Lumber and Grain Lumber yard north end.
Harold Warner and Virgil Hall. Deluxe Barber Shop 1946. Virgil barbered for 52 years with 33 years being in Macksville. Retired Sept. 1979.
Virgil Hall • barber, Bernard Breitenbach • mortician in Macksville 1945-1978.
Mr. and Mrs. Mangels
Mr. Mangels was a Macksville barber.
Some of the barbers in Macksville were: James O’Ware, Leo V. Mathes, Clyde Clark, Stan & Butler, H.H. Jacobshagen, W.W. Putnam, Sy Carlton, Harold Warner, Virgil Hall, Martin Link, H.H. Wilson, Tommy Wilson, Charles Smith, Gene Seba, Howard Lucas, Elmer Corby.
Barbers Jacobshagen and H.H. Wilson.
Ethel Mackey
In 1945 Ethel Mackey moved from the farm after loosing her husband Claude G. in 1942 running the farm not a woman’s job.
She worked as ‘‘Hello Gal” at telephone office for 2 years but due to health, doctor advised her to stop.
But she needed people, just ‘‘something” and that something turned out to be a successful career with Avon cosmetic products, this was her life a happy one for thirty-four years.
She never drove a car and walked the job carrying her deliveries in a small two wheeled basket cart. (She wore out five carts).
Ethel had around 50 to 60 regular customers who were so faithful to her.
Ethel loved children and they loved her and would greet her “Hi Avon Lady”. That made her day. (She usually had some small thing for them.)
Ethel just about knew everyone in town and where they lived. Many folks called her where do I find so and so.
She received many honors and plaques but the one she loved most was “In recognition of twenty-five years of Loyal Service to your Avon Customers.” She was missed when she died Dec. 10,1979.
Joe Wolf at garage on east side of Main.
Commons Drug Store. Jim Burns, Blanche Dykes, Kathleen McMorran and Milt Commons 1930.
Great Western Livery Barn. Left to right Glenn Wood, Geo. Cummins and Nolan Cummins. Note this is now Walker Bros. Taken in 1920’s.
Present Business Men and Women
Beauticians since 1959, other than the ones pictured were Jackie Goodyear, Patsy Roberts, Joelle Williams, Janet Harrison, Mary Jo Gibson, Sandy Hogan, Chris Stegman, Connie Grizzell, Kay Higbie, Darlene Garcia, Rolinda Sherwood, Jean Smith, Pat Seibert.
Pictured is Mary Jo Hankla, owner of Mary’s Beauty Salon since 1959.
Bill and Doris Parker. Parker Fertilizer 1966, 1971 Bill’s Tank Service. Sold to son Charles Parker 1981, now Parker Ag.