Digital Macksville

Macksville, Kansas

8- Macksville Telephone Co. and Switchboard Association

Title

8- Macksville Telephone Co. and Switchboard Association

Scroll down to view the document; press Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac) to search within the PDF file.

Subject

Macksville, Kansas -- History

Macksville, Kansas Centennial

Stafford County, Kansas

Description

Section of the Macksville Centennial Book dealing with the Macksville Telephone Co. and Switchboard Association

Creator

Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, Inc.

Source

Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas

Publisher

Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas

Date

[1986]

Rights

No known copyright restrictions.

Format

application/pdf

Language

English

Type

Books

Coverage

1886-1986

Stafford County, Kansas



Citation
Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, Inc., “8- Macksville Telephone Co. and Switchboard Association,” Digital Macksville, accessed April 7, 2020, https://macksville.digitalsckls.info/item/9.
Text

MACKSVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
Fire Station was built in 1967 by Martin Mitchell. The fire truck is a 1967 Chevrolet.
Firemen in 1967 were, left to right: Vernon Buell, Lee Suiter, Martin Mitchell fire chief, Art Weitner, Gene Linebaugh, Bob DeGarmo, Linus Scheck, Richard Evans, Donald Sparks, Paul Schnoebelen.
MACKSVILLE AREA TELEPHONE
East side of Main Street early 1900’s. Note the little white building between the two brick ones, this was the first telephone office. Guy Rothrock was first manager of the telephone company in 1905. Living quarters were in the back.
Firemen in 1985-86: Tim Buckman, Tom Naugle, David Crockett, Danny Parr, Bruce Fisher, Jeff Parr, Galen Herrenbruck, Bobby Pontius, Rick Hudson, Rodney Satterlee, Gene Keller, Linus Scheck, Fie Loy, Donald Sparks, Gerald Mollenkamp, Wayne Spencer, Bill Unruh, Linus Scheck chief, Jim VanArsdale, Gerald Mollenkamp asst. chief, Mike Watkins, Rodney Satterlee asst. chief.
Just after the turn of the century, in the very early 1900’s, the telephone "bug” hit the area around Macksville. Several rural residents decided not to wait for the wheels of progress to bring telephone service to the area.
These farmers would acquire a phone each and two or perhaps three or possibly more would hook to their barbed wire fences and have their own private phone line. No dues, no switchboard, no long distance service, but they had contact with their neighbors.
Along about 1908 or possibly a little earlier the Valley Center Telephone Company was formally organized.
The first mention found concerning the Macksville Switchboard Association was in the minutes of Valley Center Telephone Co. This was just a mention of the bank balance as of Oct. 1,1912 of $531.85. No doubt the City of Macksville had telephone service for some time prior to 1912.
The Valley Center Telephone Company served the area north of town, other telephone companies were.
-16-
Macksville and Dillwyn Telephone Company, serving mostly east of town, Macksville, Prattsburg and Nora Telephone Company, serving south of town and Macksville Cooperative Telephone Association serving mainly within the City and possibly west of town. These were no doubt formed about the same time.
All the rural phone lines were the single line and ground type. As time passed, the lines became increasingly difficult to maintain and in the late 1940’s the Valley Center Telephone Company decided to re-build to a complete new metalic line system.
The new metalic line was completed in 1949 for the Valley Center Telephone Co.
The other rural companies were contemplating similar action but about mid 1955 a purchaser became interested in purchasing the rural companies and the Macksville Switchboard Association. Due to the rapidly advancing technology and the deterioration of several of the party lines, the various companies verbally agreed to sell the assets and franchise.
August 16, 1956 a Telephone Sales Agreement was
made between Valley Center Telephone Co. and Mid-Kansas Telephone Inc. subject to similar agreements between Macksville and Dillwyn Telephone Company; Macksville, Prattsburg and Nora Telephone Company; and Macksville Cooperative Telephone Association as sellers and Mid-Kansas Telephone, Inc. as purchaser.
This sales contract was satisfied and the sale was completed in the fall of 1958.
The Mid Kansas Telephone Co. operated for a few years then they sold to Continental Telephone Co. of Kansas.
Since the total sale in 1958 the lines have been buried which has eliminated the ice storm hazard which was one of the many problems of the early systems. Also many advanced technologies have been initiated including dial phones, automatic switchboard, direct dialing, touch tone and as other advances in technology are made available they are added to our system. It would have been impossible for the rural systems of 50 years ago to have kept up with these advances in a uniform way.
Russell S. Walker
PARKVIEW MANOR NURSING HOME
In 1968, following a study by a committee appointed by the City Council on the possibility of building a nursing home, it was voted to purchase ground and begin construction. At a special meeting on May 24, Don Tillery, Mayor; Jerry Heimiller, Linus Scheck, Donald Sparks, Bob DeGarmo, Chet Cale, Contractor; Cayton and Jones, Architects; Engelhardt and Gilliam Engineers; and A.H. Speer, Bondsman formulated plans for a new $400,000 nursing home.
On December 12 official ground breaking on the site of the old grade school was held with over 100 attending from Macksville and surrounding area. Officials attending were L.L. Shaw, Master of Ceremonies; Irma Smith, Donald Sparks, John "Scottie" Grant, Jerry Heimiller, Don Tillery, Bob DeGarmo, Linus Scheck, Paul Schnoebelen, Willis Shaffer, Speaker of Hutchinson and members of the Ambassador Club and Chamber of Commerce from Hutchinson. A reception was later held at the Grace Methodist Church.
On Jan. 22, 1970 Parkview opened with Mrs. Bertha McMillan being the first resident and Don Tillery the first administrator of the forty-eight bed home. Irma Smith donated a new wing in 1972 making a sixty-bed home.
For over ten years Parkview was managed locally by a local board elected by stockholders with a consultant hired from Mid America Nursing Home Incorporated.
In March of 1981 the City Council and Parkview Manor Board sold the home to Mid America and in 1984 Beverly Enterprises purchased it.
Parkview Manor has seen many changes through the years and still remains a beautiful home.
MACKSVILLE HOUSING AUTHORITY-EVERGREEN PARK
Macksville was in need of more housing, especially for the low-income elderly, so a survey was taken to get
— 17—

Original Format

Book