Digital Macksville

Macksville, Kansas

7- Macksville Fire Department

Title

7- Macksville Fire Department

Scroll down to view the document; press Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac) to search within the PDF file.

Subject

Macksville, Kansas -- History

Macksville, Kansas Centennial

Stafford County, Kansas

Description

Section of the Macksville Centennial Book dealing with the Macksville Fire Department

Creator

Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, Inc.

Source

Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas

Publisher

Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas

Date

[1986]

Rights

No known copyright restrictions.

Format

application/pdf

Language

English

Type

Books

Coverage

1886-1986

Stafford County, Kansas



Citation
Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, Inc., “7- Macksville Fire Department,” Digital Macksville, accessed April 7, 2020, https://macksville.digitalsckls.info/item/8.
Text

MACKSVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT
Fire Station was built in 1967 by Martin Mitchell. The fire truck is a 1967 Chevrolet.
Firemen in 1967 were, left to right: Vernon Buell, Lee Suiter, Martin Mitchell fire chief, Art Weitner, Gene Linebaugh, Bob DeGarmo, Linus Scheck, Richard Evans, Donald Sparks, Paul Schnoebelen.
MACKSVILLE AREA TELEPHONE
East side of Main Street early 1900’s. Note the little white building between the two brick ones, this was the first telephone office. Guy Rothrock was first manager of the telephone company in 1905. Living quarters were in the back.
Firemen in 1985-86: Tim Buckman, Tom Naugle, David Crockett, Danny Parr, Bruce Fisher, Jeff Parr, Galen Herrenbruck, Bobby Pontius, Rick Hudson, Rodney Satterlee, Gene Keller, Linus Scheck, Fie Loy, Donald Sparks, Gerald Mollenkamp, Wayne Spencer, Bill Unruh, Linus Scheck chief, Jim VanArsdale, Gerald Mollenkamp asst. chief, Mike Watkins, Rodney Satterlee asst. chief.
Just after the turn of the century, in the very early 1900’s, the telephone "bug” hit the area around Macksville. Several rural residents decided not to wait for the wheels of progress to bring telephone service to the area.
These farmers would acquire a phone each and two or perhaps three or possibly more would hook to their barbed wire fences and have their own private phone line. No dues, no switchboard, no long distance service, but they had contact with their neighbors.
Along about 1908 or possibly a little earlier the Valley Center Telephone Company was formally organized.
The first mention found concerning the Macksville Switchboard Association was in the minutes of Valley Center Telephone Co. This was just a mention of the bank balance as of Oct. 1,1912 of $531.85. No doubt the City of Macksville had telephone service for some time prior to 1912.
The Valley Center Telephone Company served the area north of town, other telephone companies were.
-16-

Original Format

Book