Digital Macksville

Macksville, Kansas

11- City Park

Title

11- City Park

Scroll down to view the document; press Ctrl+F (Windows) or Cmd+F (Mac) to search within the PDF file.

Subject

Macksville, Kansas -- History

Macksville, Kansas Centennial

Stafford County, Kansas

Description

Section of the Macksville Centennial Book dealing with the City Park

Creator

Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, Inc.

Source

Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas

Publisher

Macksville City Library, Macksville, Kansas

Date

[1986]

Format

application/pdf

Language

English

Type

Books

Coverage

1886-1986

Stafford County, Kansas



Citation
Macksville History Committee and The Lewis Press, Inc., “11- City Park,” Digital Macksville, accessed August 10, 2020, https://macksville.digitalsckls.info/item/12.
Text

names of probable renters and the amount of interest shown by the community toward this project.
Sealed bids were received for this construction. Vern A. Nelson, Architect AIA & Associates of Shawnee Mission, Kansas was the planning architect. Umphrey Builders, Inc., Salina, Kansas, was the successful bidder. Construction was completed in December 1982. This project is financed by Farmers Home Administration.
This project consists of eight (8) one-bedroom units, a lovely Recreation room for the use of all tenants, a laun-
dry with coin-operated washer and dryer. There is an outside storage shed to be used as needed by the tenants. The yard is large and well-lighted.
All units are now occupied. Ruth Van Arsdale is Chairperson of this project.
Macksville Pride Committee has been one of the boosters of this Housing project, having donated $500.00 toward the purchase price of the land. This is an addition of which all Macksville can be proud.
Written by Mildred Prescott
CITY PARK HISTORY
About the year of 1915 some Macksville citizens and newly formed Research Club began to plan a city park. George Mack, founder of Macksville, had planned to donate a block of ground east of Main Street, however, it had to be sold for tax purposes. Later, H.D. Prose purchased the block with the intent of building a home. J.M. Hammond, President of the Commercial Club, pushed for funds so the city could secure the land which became the official site for a city park. Some years passed and improvements began when a landscape gardener from Manhattan was hired to draw park blueprints. Trees and shrubs were planted. A.J. Smith, E.J. Westgate and Mr. Hammond were the first trustees.
In 1933, P.H. Zuercher, Mayor, found that money could be secured from a Federal setup known as KERC. Some brick sidewalks were laid and a water system installed. On the Park Committee for the City Council were Irwin Elmore and Claude Sparks with L.L. Shaw joining two years later.
In 1935 when A.J. Bock was elected Mayor he expressed the desire to push for completion with more brick walks and lights added, a foundation installed, as well as tables and benches built. Research Club maintained interest and helped with fund raising and advice through the years.
In 1937, Mrs. J.T. (Irma) Smith, Park Chairman for Research Club, supervised the planting of 400 pieces of shrubbery donated by the club. James Starke, County Engineer, set stakes for the shrubbery planting and Herman Beiser laid more brick walks. Frank Fuqua was caretaker.
In 1939 plans for the Amphitheatre (Band Shell) were formulated and later 28 men with 15 trucks hauled sand-
stone from Clark County. Church ladies treated the men to home cooked dinner that evening. Rocks from 48 states were inset in the stone located outside of the pillars. Also, a bridge over a small creek was built the same year. In use was the first public address system donated by Emil Frick.
In May 1940 the dedication for the building was celebrated.
A large closed-in shelterhouse with outside fireplace and several grills was built in 1952; also, that year the first “Homecoming” was held with eats, games, booths, etc.
Deedie Hudson near the band shell. Water in the park, river stream.
— 18—
Macksville Enterprise Oct. 10,1940
Mrs. S.G. Wiles is having a beautiful bridge constructed in the Macksville City park in the memory of her
parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.O. McComas.
The material used is of rock and facing will be similar to that used in the band shell. It was built by Edward “Red” James. The little boy pictured on bridge is Dean James.
Bridges in the park. Corner building is band shell.
The Macksville Swimming Pool.
— 19—
Irma I. Smith
Macksville City Park is financed by earnings from the Emil Frick Estate. Many other individuals donated funds during its growth with Mrs. Rosine Smith and Mrs. Susan Crane-Hart giving sizable amounts. Organizations through the years who helped with park projects were the City Council, Chamber of Commerce, American Legion Auxiliary, American Legion, Sunflower H.D.U. Unit, Summit Club, Garden Club, Lions Club, Mother’s Clubs, and Cameo Club.
Researched by Mary Jo Hankla Written and edited by Dorothy Sparks
The Railroad Comes
The first train over the A.R. and W.R.R. came in July 4th, 1886. Macksville had a big celebration that day and people for miles around were here.
With the railroad, markets were established and it was not long until elevators were constructed. In the nineties the country was beginning to cease being chiefly a cattle country and gradually developed into a wheat growing country.
This cut-off between Hutchinson and Kinsley was later taken over by the Santa Fe railroad.
Taken from Macksville Enterprise 10-15-36
Macksville Santa Fe Depot and coal shed. Elevators on east side of street. North • Jennings Grain, foreground • Farmers Coop, behind ■ Gano Grain, far back - Davidson Grain.
Jack Rabbit drive. Loading Jack Rabbits on the railroad, early ’30’s.
-20-

Original Format

Book